Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Details On Replacing RX4 Prop Bearings

View Single Post
post #63 of (permalink) Old 17th February 2009
Banned User
Nominated 0 Times in 9 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Vibration damper repair

Originally Posted by avroff View Post
Tolsen, Just dropping the shaft out of my RX4 and I can see that it's the vibration damper at the rear end that's flapping about. Everything else looks 'as new', but once it's out I'll check it all thoroughly. Did you just 'inject' silicone around and between the bits? Just ordinary type from what you've said. And how long did you leave it to set for? Have to say that, any problems apart, these things are constructed :like the proverbial brick-built-sh*t house!
Checked with Renault first - around 300 pounds plus VAT for a new damper.
I used the cheapest silicon I could get. Lidl's best clear general purpose silicon for 99p a cartridge. I cleaned the damper thoroughly using Fairy washing up liquid and hot water followed by additional cleaning with cellolose thinner and drying it out with compressed air and a hair dryer. Centred the assembly using metal shims and injected silicon to stick it back together. I left it at room temperature for about 2 days before testing it at high rpm on my lathe. Did this repair nearly 2 years ago.

Currently in tolsen's garage:
Trekka 1.9 DCI, Smart Cabrio Cdi (65 - 85 MPG) & Ford Transit 2.2 Duratorq TDCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome