Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna 1 2000 and voice sunth?

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 17th February 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to colmrenaul
Voice Synthesis Retro Fit Instructions Lag1

Hi LOrd,

You are a man after my own heart. I think the voice synthesiser is the best creature comfort Renault ever fitted. I know there are people who have negative views of it on here, but why on earth didnít they leave it as an optional extra on 2003+ Lagunaís for gadget enthusiasts like me. I would have paid a lot for it.

Anyway, the voice synthesiser on the Laguna 1 should be easier to retrofit than on the Laguna 2. The easiest way to do this in my opinion is to find your donor car and take all the parts you need.

In the Laguna 1 the voice synthesiser consists of the following parts.

1. Switch. Located to the right of the steering wheel. One screw underneath secures it to the dash.
Buttons: REP = REPeat DIS = DIScreet

Track allocation. A1 = Repeat, A2 = Earth, A3 = Discreet

2. Computer. This is integrated within the high end instrument panels with the trip computer. You were going to retrofit one of these anyway so thatís convenient.

Track Allocation: Connector C (Green)

Pin 4 = Voice Synthesiser Loudspeaker - Negative
Pin 15= Voice Synthesiser Loudspeaker + Positive
Pin 6 = Repeat message
Pin 7 = Discrete

3. Bulb monitor. It is located underneath the passenger seat. To access it in your donor car you will need to push the passenger seat forward as far as possible. Remove the 2 screws holding the plastic cover down & remove the cover. There will be a almost square shaped plastic box in the centre there, nearest the centre of the seat. (If cruise control is fitted itís computer can also be fitted here too, but it is a much bigger more rectangular box but is located near one of the seat rails anyway, so avoid mixing them up) There will be a connector on either side of the bulb monitor. Disconnect these and slide the unit toward the front of the vehicle. You might need the looms that you just disconnected if you canít find them in your car. If so you will probably need to lift the donor cars carpet and see where that looms connect the main loom.

Connector A has 11 tracks
Connector B has 9 tracks

Let me know if you need the track allocation, but you shouldnít if you have or retrofit the correct wiring looms, they will just plug in.

Check the loom going into Connector C behind the instrument cluster, if all the pins connect to a wire, that is a very good sign indicating that Renault didnít use a lower spec loom for your model. If a lot of these wires are missing then you are talking about making up your own loom, which would take a bit if time and patience and confidence. I would definitely do it if it was my car, but there would be a bit of trial and error so it would be hard to tell you how to do it. Alternatively you could remove your whole dash and upgrade the entire loom from with a donor loom.

I donít know if the instrument panel on Lag1 is plug & play or it if needs to be programmed to the car, others will know more on here.

Please keep us informed of your progress, or PM me if you want me to E-mail wiring diagrams. Your first step would definitely be to check the loom to connector C (green) to see if all pins are connected to a wire.

In the UK Laguna Monacoís had the voice synthesis and possibly some other models had it too. In Ireland only Laguna Concordeís born in 2000 had it. There is a massive amount of them on the road over here. When the Concorde crashed Renault France off loaded the unfortunately titled model into Ireland heavily discounted.

Currently in colmrenaul's garage:
2005 Renault Laguna 2 Initiale 2.0 dCi 150
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome