Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Details On Replacing RX4 Prop Bearings

View Single Post
post #69 of (permalink) Old 17th February 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Wink RX4 Propshaft

Well, thanks everybody! This forum is my first and I'm surprised by the amount of info on it, and by the friendliness and helpfulness. I took it all off and found that a) the forward vibration damper was shot b) the forward support bearing was a bit noisy and the rear one more so. The uj's were OK, as was the doughnut. Spoke to John at Dave Mack in Cov and he was really knowledgeable, informative and helpful. Firstly, the 80:20 split in the review blurb is a bit 'approximate' All you can really say is that 100% of the drive comes out of the gearbox to the main diff and thence to the front and rear shafts. As to the exact way it works with ABS sensors detecting slip, applying the brakes selectively, viscous coupling allowing only so much slip and so on, well who knows? Please tell... When you buy their recon shaft, it comes with everything except the vibration damper. They can't source them and Dave reckons that whereas they might have done some good when all the mounting bushes were new and taut and so passing on vibes, thereafter they don't do a lot except flap about causing vibration themselves. You can just tap the forward one off the shaft. To get the rearward one off, you have to prise the 'button' washers off - their sleeves locate in the viscous coupling drive flange. This makes refitting much easier because you don't have to fanny about getting the nuts between the dampers. To quieten the bearings I've injected some Molyslip into then using an ink cartridge refill hypodermic - sweet f.a. use for making ink cartridges work, but good for this job! I've put it all back together but still can't drive it because I discovered the the O/S/R coil spring's snapped. I'll report back on the final results soon.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome