Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Supermarket fuel

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 20th February 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Supermarket fuel

Now, before you all think 'not that one again!'...

During 2008 I generally used a local Sainsbury's for petrol. Towards the middle of the year my car (1.2 Clio 16v Dynamique) started to have problems, specifically the emissions light. This would come on if the engine was warm but had been left 'off' for around 5 mins. Once running it would go off and the car would run perfectly well.

When we moved house I moved filling stations to a non-supermarket 'local garage'. The problem above slowly improved to the point where - by January of this year - the car was fine again despite no other changes.

The emissions test in the MOT was passed with no problems, so I'm quite certain the problem wasn't cat-related.

Today I had to fill up at the old Sainsbury's and, yes, the problem has come back...

After 25 years with cars, engineering and electronics I was always deeply cynical about the 'bad supermarket fuel' stories, but now I'm not too sure!
Currently in tlracing's garage:
51-plate Clio 1.2 Dynamique, 11-plate Clio III
  5 Lastest Threads by tlracing
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Supermarket fuel Cars & motoring madnoel10 31 3320 20th February 2009 06:31 PM
Clio 1.2, D4F engine - oil pressure light*Fixed* Engines 16 15842 24th January 2009 09:08 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome