Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Fuel Consumption of New Laguna 1.5 DCI (110)

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 21st February 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Just spent a day with Renault at Oulton Park... "plenty of cars to drive... and you'll get some dual carriageway in too" ? me too! Apparently, they were offering driver training(not by Renault) for the new Eco driving style, taking in the surrounding area. Drove a Laguna 1.5 DCi around and got good mileage.

Anyway... after driving for 32+ years, here's the latest way to drive economically! [Apparently, they were teaching this technique to learners 10 years ago.]

You'll be doing this already? So for the benefit of others...

Setting Off - Accelerate quickly, changing gears rapidly. Block shift at cruise speed from 4th into 6th (Top Gear). The idea is you reach the most economical gear/speed sooner and drive there for longer.
Brake as little as possible, think ahead, read the traffic conditions (and when the pesky lights will be red!)
Driving - Keep a distance between you and car in front (25-50m), to allow them to brake and you to merely ease off the accelerator to slow down.
Lights/Roundabouts - Slow down soon enough to avoid queing where possible.
Slowing down - Back off acceleraor, then brake, don't change down to use engine braking, cut clutch in when at 900 rpm and stop. Well, perhaps change to 4th at some point. Engine cuts fuel to engine as you slow, uses less than when in neutral.
Apparently, saves engine, gearbox and clutch wear but importantly you keep both hands on the wheel.

Think ahead, accelerate briskly, brake less, chill that right foot, and get to work less stressed.
Works for me, Laguna 1.9DCi going to work - 14 miles of 50mph, 7 windy road. . (51mpg, but when I hammer it, 42mpg -
On other days - 21mpg in the RX-8 1.3L (2 gallons a day) That's block shift from 2nd to 6th at around 48mph.

Try it for a week... that's how they get the mpg up.
[Reset the mpg after the winter cold start - I also set off 10 mins earlier to avoid the traffic.]

Nev (new here too)
55mpg to devon with a full car (inc kit sink in roof box) and motorway driving.
PS Don't feel too sorry for me having to sit through a KPMG lease car vs new tax costs chat and another about Grey Fleet cars. I managed a few smiles with my Brazilian racing driver co-pilot trying out the advanced braking/steering on the Clio.
Currently in BlueNev's garage:
RX-8 231 (57) Laguna II 1.9Dci(55)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome