Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Calling all Avantimers + friends

View Single Post
post #47 of (permalink) Old 23rd May 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by kitch
My first Avantime had a rattle from the engine; it was an auto and did it everytime it dropped into a higher gear. The car was under 3 years old at the time and Reno took it in.... the monkies bashed the underneath with a hammer, then decided to replace the exhaust down-pipe. That made no difference, they then said it was pinking (Reno main dealer!!!!!).
A mechanic friend of mine drove it up the road and said it was the bottom end of the engine. Reno paid for a brand new engine at 17k, after having it at the dealer for 8 weeks. I kept it for six months then sold it to Paramount Pictures as they wanted three Avantimes to star in a movie. They chopped.... the.... roof..... off (eeekkkk). I did feel guilty, but it was a real friday afternoon car!
Second one is much better!!

I am trying to find out more about V6 engine changes in the Avanitme - I have just spoken to an engine reconditioner and he had an Avantime enquiry a few weeks ago!

I assume you had your engine changed by a Renault dealer. Did they ever tell you what the rattle was? My rattle could be heard at various engine speeds regardless of which gear the car was in - does this sound similar to yours?

It would seem strange that there 3 similar reports from the same spec car - out of c. 350 Avantimes in the country!

Currently in hugh121's garage:
Renault Avantime V6
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome