Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Engines - Average MPG from 1.9 DCi Engine

View Single Post
post #173 of (permalink) Old 23rd February 2009
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Originally Posted by hankthe4th View Post
to get all technical about the issue

All molecules experience intermolecular attractions. which basically mean all molecules have a small magnetic field which can be minipulated with a stronger magnetic field.
follow this link belo to explain the reasoning behing the magnetic theory:
Firstly, a patent is not an information source or document. It is allowed to say pretty much anything it wants in this sense.

I will try to explain this in a fairly simple fashion.

You are correct in saying that all molecules have attractions to each other (or repulsions). However, hydrocarbon molecules have only the weakest type, i.d.-->i.d.

The polarity actually swings between sides, thus any magnet (assuming it had any effect at all) would just switch. This would of course result in no net motion, and of course these forces are very weak anyway.

This comes down to people stating a fact (magnets impact on charged polarities) and extending it to something it doesn't apply to, non-polar molecules. There is a reason why water doesn't mix with oil .

Even if it did do what it suggests, there is no reason why "polar aligned molecules" would benefit the combustion process, which is non-uniform.

Of course this is proven in industry - we don't have magnets on the huge oil and gas power plants, despite it clearly being able to save £millions according to patent 5558765. Genuine reviews of such devices from an engineering perspective include:

Of course many wouldn't take my academic background in chemical engineering and process engineering background as a source. I am, however, taught to look for genuinely peer reviewed articles for evidence, surprisingly there are none to show it works
Currently in pghstochaj's garage:
Laguna Coupe 2009 GT DCI 180
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome