Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Engines - Turbo Diesel Engine Problems

View Single Post
post #32 of (permalink) Old 23rd May 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I really think that many people miss the point about oil changes and the oil business altogether. Cheap oil needs to be changed frequently; it can start breaking down within minutes of your starting the engine. The most expensive real synthetic oils are unlikely to be breaking down at all. Between the 2 extremes you are really on your own. I dont know what a semi synthetic oil is, can someone please enlighten me, and I am an oil dealer! You get what you pay for, what do people really think they are getting for £15 inc labour, a filter and somewhere a profit margin to survive. A top synthetic oil is unlikely to be sold or used by a dealer as they cannot get customers to pay the premium price. Customers check around and go for the 'best value' don't they. Dealers and much of the auto industry is really suffering and you cannot blame them for wanting to offer a price people will pay and make a profit to survive.
The net result is the cheap oil in your cars breaks down and accelerates wear; the poor oil lacking the expensive additives cannot hold the soot, acids and other gunge resultant from normal combustion and it gets dumped, just one of the places it gets dumped is the EGR valve with catastrophic results. People pay a lot for their cars and they are usually the 2nd biggest investment they make. Why then cut corners? pay the price and protect your investment, its much cheaper to do so.
A very simple rule for those who don't understand oil grades is if you pick an oil with 0W at the start it must have quality to meet this figure, forget about people telling you you only need 0W in -35 degrees etc ; it will flow the quickest to your bearings and turbo on startup which is where most of the wear occurs. If someone insists you dont need it (Ow ) get it/go elsewhere, it is the only sure mark of quality nowadays.
Currently in amsoil's garage:
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome