Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 1.9 dci fidgi 2002

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 25th February 2009
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Welcome to the club!

This goes back several months and several posts - I also have a Megane 1.9dCi Fidji (2001 model) which started to display similar symptoms to the one you mentioned.

The problem is the glow plug (pre-heater) warning light can come on for a number of reasons.

For example, it will come on when you start the car to inform you that the glow plugs have been activated. According to the Haynes manual, glow plug heating has several phases - pre-heating, starting heating and post heating. Haynes states that "the maximum period of variable post heating is 3 minutes"

Without extracting the whole section from the Haynes manual (and I'd probably get told off for by the moderators for doing so due to copyright reasons!) - it COULD be that the system has detected a problem with the glow plugs, glow plug relay etc etc.

I'll leave at that for now but just to ask, you said "the pre heater plug light comes on after 5 min then eventually goes off"

Are you sure its 5 minutes?
How long does the light stay on for?
Does the car's performance suffer when the light is on?
Have you had any problems starting the car?
How old are the glow plugs?

....anything else you can think of

Give me some more information and I'll share what I can with you.

Currently in levski's garage:
2001 Renault Megane 1.9dCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome