Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Best way to sell non-running Safrane

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 25th February 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Best way to sell non-running Safrane

I have a bit of a problem with a Safrane clogging up my driveway!

I bought a nice new Vel Satis back in November and hadnt got round to selling the Safrane as I was changing my private plate over.

The Safrane is a 1998 2.5 exec ... nice car, ran well. It was only worth about 400-500 and I was about to sell it to a colleague at work.

However, the battery had gone flat as I'd been using the Vel Satis so on the day before I was due to sell it I stuck the charger on. I started the car with the charger on boost function .. it started straight away and ran fine. However, as I was putting the charger and leads away, it suddenly cut out.
Every time I tried to restart it, the engine turned over fine, but would not start.

I called out Britannia rescue who reckoned it was some sort of ignition fault .. they tested power and reckoned power was getting to the ignition coil but not past it.

Obviously my sale fell through - I had to tell him not to bother coming round!

Anyway .. now I'm stuck with a non-starting car. I woould have to pay to take it to a garage who would charge to diagnose the problem and then god knows how much the problem would cost to fix. The car would only be worth 400 or thereabouts if it was running anyway.
I'm rather loathe to spend money on it just to get it diagnosed. I'm tempted to cut my losses, reclaim my tax, and just get it towed it away, but it has 4 fairly new Michelin tyres on it with hardly any wear (I didnt know I was going to buy a Vel Satis on a whim when I bought them!)

Sorry about the long story! But has anyone got any ideas on the best way of getting rid of it? is it worth sticking it on ebay as a non-runner?
Currently in camelopardis's garage:
2002 Renault Vel Satis 3.0 dCi Initiale
  5 Lastest Threads by camelopardis
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Will cheap OBD2 Bluetooth Adaptors work with a... Engines Lagdti 1 2389 15th May 2011 09:15 AM
How can I read this french Vel Satis Forum in... Computer Club Tiggerz_SRi 6 2108 24th April 2009 12:12 PM
Best way to sell non-running Safrane Electronics camelopardis 4 1238 25th February 2009 11:42 PM
Aux Connection for Ipod on Vel Satis with... Electronics camelopardis 12 13334 26th January 2009 01:08 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome