Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - The Vel Satis Club, for all things Vel....

View Single Post
post #258 of (permalink) Old 26th February 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
vel satis 3.0DCI cambelt

This is from the yahoo vel satis forum which indicates
3.0DCI cambelts are 120,000 miles or 10 years

Thanks to John Mullan I have now been in communication with Renault
Customer Services and Renault Information Services and finally recieved
a letter which states that although service interval for the Timing
Belt change was 120,000 miles with no time limit,Renault have now
issued a recommendation of a 10 year limit with the same mileage of
If anyone would like a copy of this letter please contact me by PM
Many Renault dealers seem to be unaware of this revised limit and are
advising a change at 5 years. This is a very costly exercise.

**Sorry but we do not allow personal contact details to be posted on the public forum. Please use the PM system to exchange contact details**

Originally Posted by hu88ertvelsat View Post
Hi all,

Well pleased with the 3.0 Initiale I got just before Xmas. Everyone who's been in it loves it too, mainly due to the comfort and space.

I get about 33-35 round town but I mainly just don long trips in it, once every so often, and get 49MPG or maybe slightly more. The most I've got is 54MPG, driving at 67mph down the M6 from Manchester to Birmingham!

It's a 53 plate with 48,000 miles on it and the rear Michelin tyres were very worn when I got it, so I replaced them immediately (with Continentel Sport Contact 3 XL's, which is all I could get same day on Xmas Eve, so I got them "cheap" from Event Tyres mobile fitting at 170 each). The front tyres are comprised a Nexen and a Maxxiss. After much thought (and thanks to those who've already replied to my other posts about Vel Satis tyres) I've decided to spend that few quid more and get Michelin Primacy HP XL tyres for the front (Vel Satis 3.0 dCi "standard" tyres of 245/45/18 XL Extra Load, 100 LSI/weight), as everything I've read suggests that the Michelins last longer. I was reluctant to get budget tyres in the end, and also reluctant to get Conti 3's on the front as Vel Satis' eat Continentals, so I'm lead to believe from others' posts.

One strange (possibly) thing about my new Vel Satis is that the chassis does display the VIN, but the VIN section on the windscreen is empty. The windscreen looks like the original, not been replaced, and the rest of the car is in beautiful condition, having lead a pampered life by the looks of it. But the VIN being missing from the windscreen section worried me a bit. Should I be? Before I bought it, I did a full HPI check and it came back ok, plus I've got the full service history, previous MOT records etc...

I've been given a few contradicting facts, so does anyone know for sure when the next major service on a 53 plate 3.0 V6 dCi should be? It's done 49,000 miles now and the car dash indicates it's due a service in another 5,000 miles, or by April according to the service book. That's what the dealer (indie) told me too - April or another 5k miles, whichever comes first. Then there's the issue of BELTS - does the car have 2 major belts, one which will need changing at its April service and the other sometime in the future, at 72,000 miles or 90,000 miles?

All the other electronic gizmos the car's got seem to work perfectly, except the memory position of the driver's side wing mirror. I always fold my mirrors in and up when it's parked, but when I fold them down again and insert the keycard, it puts my seat and the passenger's wing mirror back into the stored position, but not the driver's side mirror, so I always have to adjust it manually using the controls on the door. Is this common?

I love the engine in all kinds of ways, from its quietness to its sound when pushed. But my Vel Satis seems to run out of ooomph and puff when going uphill if I accelerate to overtake, for example, and sometimes the car judders a little bit, like the auto transmission is getting confused. Is this just a trait of the gearbox? I can live with it if it is!

Has anyone got the factoey Renault bluetooth phone kit in their Vel Satis or Avantine? My 53 plate doesn't seem to have the full phone prep despite being the top spec Initiale model (can't see any microphone anywhere, etc), so I'm thinking of getting a Parrot system fitted (with radio mute etc) which I believe is what Renault fit as standard anyway as they're partnered with Parrot?

I'll try and post some pics soon.

I hardly see any Vel Satises on the road which is great as it shows they're rare, but there's one more fairly local to me, on the way into Manchester from the East.

Best Wishes,

Currently in biarritzsurfer's garage:
2005 Renault Vel Satis 3.0dci

Last edited by Pat.w; 26th February 2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Email address removed
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome