Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio Bonnet catch, still going wrong !

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 26th February 2009
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Originally Posted by timmy toad View Post
Hi all, i went to Chorley earlier this week, and on the way back down the M6 on the opposite carriageway (going north) i saw a Black Clio safely parked on the hard shoulder with it's Bonnet firmly embedded in it's windscreen and roof, i thought poor sod, i bet that is a terrible feeling, having your forward vision suddenly obliterated like that and the cost of repairs must be horrendous. this is assuming you havent been killed along with other innocent folk.

I really did think this type of incident was a thing of the past, it was about 2 years ago, my missus, who has a Clio, was informed by Renault of the importance of having her Bonnet Catch properly lubricated, i convinced her it was perfectly OK, she was happy with this !,

UNTIL last week we had ANOTHER letter from Renault more or less telling her to take it to a Renault Dealer, so that is what we are doing this coming Saturday morning, off to the local Renault Main Dealer at Dunstable to let a "proffesional" look at it.

despite me convincing her it IS perfectlyOK !.

many years ago i worked at Vauxhall Motors, all there prototypes had to goto Millbrook prooving ground where the vehicles were subjected to severe testing on very rough road surfaces causing all manner of vibrations etc. which would highlight any possible problems like the problems which seem to be afflicting the Clio's Bonnet Catch !.

It's nothing to do with vibrations. It is poor maintainence of the safety hook, they corrode and can stick. If you take it to your Renault dealer and they see any sign of corrosion on the safety hook they will replace it, Free. So I can't really see your problem to be honest.
Currently in jaime1980's garage:
Clio III DCI 86bhp
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome