Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How to fit an ipod interface

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 28th February 2009 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
How to fit an ipod interface

I originally wrote this for the Diesel Driver forum, but thought it may be of help to members of this forum too.

I've decided that for the first time ever i will leave the factory sound system in my car. But i wanted to use my ipod in the car so i have fitted an ipod interface.
There are number of interfaces available, some are ipod specific, some have usb sockets and others can connect to any mp3 player (via 3.5mm headphone jack).

The interface i have chosen is a Connects2 but i would think that other makes will connect in the same way. I bought it from an ebay shop for 61.80

This is what you get

Firstly, you need to decide where the ipod is going to live. I decided to fit mine in the upper glove box, the advantage of which is that i don\'t need to unplug the ipod and hide it every time i leave the car. But you can have it in the centre console or buy a kit to mount it on one of the air vents or a windscreen mount.

Depending on where you want your ipod, you may need to drill a hole for the cable, i drilled a hole in my glove box and fed the interface to ipod cable through to the back of the radio.

Next pull the radio out of the dashboard
this website may help.

Next locate the cd changer socket, if you have a cd changer connected (like i did) you will need to disconnect it, you can\'t have both ipod and cd changer connected at the same time unless you buy a more expensive interface.
Plug the interface to radio cable into the cd changer socket (blue plug on mine)

You should now have two cables at the back of your radio, one from the ipod and the other from the cd changer socket on the back of the radio. Plug both cables into the corresponding sockets on the interface. (It might be a good idea at this point to cable tie the disconnected cd changer lead to the other radio wires to prevent losing it)

Next push the interface and all the wiring through the radio aperture in the dashboard, making sure that the interface box is pushed to one side and will not prevent the radio from sliding into the dashboard. Then refit the radio back into the dashboard, plug in your ipod and test it.

My interface works well, i can play an album by selecting it using the ipod controls or i can select playlists by using the 6 preset buttons on the radio, then i can skip songs and adjust the volume using the controls on the radio or steering column as i would if i was listening to a cd
Currently in Jonlucpicard's garage:
2010 Grand Scenic 1.5 dCi Privilege Tomtom
  5 Lastest Threads by Jonlucpicard
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Smoke on start up Engines Jonlucpicard 14 4112 8th November 2010 03:38 PM
Central locking wiring? Electronics mickpm 1 1372 23rd August 2010 08:09 AM
Ipod not recognized Electronics SportTourer 4 1760 18th August 2010 07:02 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome