Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Noob questions - Megane Battery Problem?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 3rd March 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Noob questions - Megane Battery Problem?

Hi, and thanks in advance for any help. I'm new to the forum and very naive when it comes to the internal combustion engine, so please bear with me!

I have a 2001 Megane 1.4i Expression.

The car had been off the road for around six months before I had it, with the previous owner (My girlfriend) citing electrical problems, basically the electrics compeltely failing after a journey.

I got the car looked at and was told it just needed a new battery. This was installed but around 6 weeks later the Battery and STOP lights came and stayed on, and the power steering stopped working.

My Questions are as follows:

As the battery is so new, would it be the alternator that is faulty?

Would the car have run for 6 weeks with a faulty alternator after a new battery was installed?

If it IS the alternator is it expensive to get fixed?

With finaces very tight, I am wary of getting ripped off from a grage, and the Renault dealer quoted me 300-600 for a new alternator (When I asked for a ballpark figure over the phone, without actually looking at the car)

Thanks again for any help,

Currently in Toothlessgibbon's garage:
2001 Megane 1.4i expression
  5 Lastest Threads by Toothlessgibbon
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Noob questions - Megane Battery Problem? Electronics dave_mezza2006 8 1212 3rd March 2009 09:38 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome