Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - General Free / Cheap maintenance

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 3rd March 2009
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
1 - Possibly an exhaust heat shield. Should be easy to spot by shaking the exhaust etc. Could also be broken rear silencer box rubber mountings. There's sort of two parts to them - the outer "rubber ring", and the inner "solid rubber block". If they are hanging by the ring the exhaust will rattle (well it did on mine).
2 - Whining could be the beginning of turbo failure. Attend to this one ASAP because if the turbo goes then all the engine oil pours into the engine, the engine revs at maximum revs until it burns itself out and ends up scrap. You can't switch the engine off by the key so if you do get this happening do your best to stall the engine, even if it means burning the clutch out.
3 - I've often wondered this one myself and always put it down to partly worn or burnt brake discs partially sticking. It shouldn't do any harm. Try not putting the handbrake on quite so hard.
4 - The fitting is crap. Drill a hole through both parts and install a self tapper to hold them together.
Currently in mister_cee333's garage:
Toyota Avensis 1.8. Formerly Jaguar X Type Sport d 2005. Formerly 2001 Laguna 2 1.9 dCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome