Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio dCi 65/80/100. How d'you tell them apart?

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 25th May 2006
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hello. I have a 55-reg dCi 80, and very good it is, too. I cover 20,000 miles per year, making the 65 mpg diesel a very cost-effective choice. There is plenty of torque as well.
To answer your question, look at the rubbing strip badge on the front door of a dCi Clio. The 65 has the letters 'dCi' in silver; the 80 has dC in silver but with a blue i; and the 100 has d in silver with a blue Ci. Apart from this, there is no way of telling the cars apart externally.
There are not that many dCi Clios about. Most people do a smallish annual mileage in Clios, and find the small petrol engines economical enough for their needs, particularly when the lower purchase price was factored in. The majority seem to be 1.2 16V petrols. In the eight months I have had my diesel, I have seen about five dCi 65's, two dCi 80's (apart from mine) and just one dCi 100. There are many more in France, however.
What sort of driving do you do? I take it from the fact that you are looking for a diesel that you do a reasonable annual mileage, perhaps mostly on motorways. If so, leave the 65 alone and go for a 80 or 100, if you can find one. The 65 is marginal on motorways, and does not offer enough overtaking ability; though it is fine around town. I rented a Modus dCi 65 in France last summer, and it struggled with the 130 kmh motorway limit there, preferring to cruise at around 105 kmh. My Clio is fine at the domestic 70 mph limit.
Currently in mrtotty's garage:
2011 Clio dCi 88 Expression Eco
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome