Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - The Vel Satis Club, for all things Vel....

View Single Post
post #265 of (permalink) Old 9th March 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Vel satis - 3.0 dci oil filter cost

Thought I would pass on the benefit of my experience in buying oil filters for the 3.0 diesel model.
( Disclaimer-Whether you use the information is up to you, use at your own risk. I declare that I am not responsible for any consequential losses as a result of you acting on my advice ).

I don't mind paying for a quality part, but was horrified when I was charged over 70 euros at a French Renault dealer for an oil filter for the 3.0 diesel Vel Satis. After all it is only a paper insert in 2 grades of filtration with a piece of cardboard in the middle ! ( + 2 'O' rings )
The price at a UK dealer is on a par - in the region of 50. I would guess that the manufacturing cost is under a quid - how can this cost be justified ? Beats me.
I started to hunt around for alternative filter manufacturers for a pattern part. No Luck !
Being aware that this engine is made by ISUZU, and also fitted to the SAAB 9-5 and the Vauxhall Signum, I ordered a GENUINE SAAB FILTER for the SAAB 9-5 3.0tid at a cost of 14.08 including postage - from a well known Saab Parts supplier. As I had not yet used the RENAULT Filter I was able to compare the two very closely when the SAAB Filter arrived ( SAAB GM Part no. 5444682 ). It was visibly identical in every respect to the Renault filter - and even had the same serial number on the cardboard box, suggesting to me that it was made at the same factory.
Needless to say - I will be using the Saab filter from now on, and have stocked up on a couple more - works out even cheaper per unit when ordering multiple items ! Best wishes to all Vel Satis appreciators. Graham.
Currently in Satistician's garage:
2008 Renault Kangoo 1.6.16v Auto ( Disabled conversion ), 2008 Renault Kangoo 1.6.16v auto ( salvage to fix the 1st one ), Vauxhall ARENA 2.5D - AKA RENAULT TRAFIC 1
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome