Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #367 of (permalink) Old 9th March 2009
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by selwonk View Post
As per this thread I have been in correspondence with an Italian guy representing people with Renaults which have been affected by electrical fires:

One nugget of interesting information which I will try to find out more about is:

"About 9 years ago an owner of a Renault Scenic was killed and the court of Caltanissetta condemned Renault for refusing to pay 1,000,000 Euros to their relatives."

I'll try to find out some more information on this.
This report is dated 28th Oct 2008.

La Renault condannata a pagare per la morte di Li Calzi
Renault condemned to pay for the death of Li Calzi

La casa automobilistica francese Renault è stata condannata dal giudice monocratico del tribunale civile di Caltanissetta, Alessandra Vella, a pagare un maxi risarcimento pari a quasi un milione di euro ai familiari del bancario canicattinese morto undici anni fa in un incidente stradale causato "da un vizio di progettazione e produzione" del veicolo. Luigi Li Calzi, 27enne di Canicattì, morì carbonizzato all'interno della sua Renault Laguna.
The French motor company Renault has been condemned by Caltanisetta civil tribunal Judge Alessandra Vella, to pay damages up to nearly a million Euro to the family of the Caltanisetta bank employee who died eleven years ago in a road accident caused by "a sequence of events brought about" by the vehicle. Luigi Li Calzi, 27-years-old, was burned to death inside his Renault Laguna.

Il dipendente del Banco di credito cooperativo "San Francesco" il 5 febbraio 1997 era di ritorno da Acireale lungo il raccordo della statale 640 che collega l'autostrada Palermo-Catania ad Agrigento, quando la sua auto, acquistata l'anno prima e ancora in garanzia, prese improvvisamente fuoco non lasciando scampo alla vittima.
The ***8220;San Francesco Co-op Credit Bank***8221; employee, on 27th February 1997, was returning from Acireale on the SS640 (Palermo-Catania to Agrigento) when his car (purchased one year earlier and still under warranty) spontaneously caught fire and he was unable to escape.

La fiammata avvolse in pochi secondi il mezzo che, privo di controllo, finì contro un autocarro che proveniva dall'altro senso di marcia.
The fire took hold [engulfed?] in mere seconds and the out-of-control car ended up in a head-on collision with a heavy lorry coming from the opposite direction.

Il processo penale per omicidio colposo si era concluso con un'archiviazione perchè non si era potuto accertare chi aveva materialmente assemblato il pezzo difettoso della vettura.
The penal process [inquest or criminal prosecution?] for culpable homicide had been left undecided [open verdict?] because it had been unable to sufficiently assemble [more like identify"] the defective part of the vehicle.

In sede civile, però, le cose sono andate diversamente poichè il giudice, accogliendo le tesi degli avvocati Umberto e Luigi Cascino, che rappresentavano il padre della vittima Angelo Li Calzi, la madre Rosa Mulone e i fratelli, ha ritenuto che l'incendio è stato provocato dal cattivo funzionamento del sistema di alimentazione, causa principale dell'esplosione del collettore di aspirazione dell'aria. "La prova del difetto - secondo il magistrato - coincide con l'insicurezza del prodotto. Quindi è difettosa quell'autovettura, perchè del tutto priva del requisito della sicurezza".
In civil court however, things went differently because the judge, summing up the arguments of lawyers Umberto and Luigi Cascino who represented the father of the victim Angelo Li Calzi, the mother Rosa Mulone and his brothers, held that the fire was caused by an electrical fault that was the main cause of an explosion in the air supply collector [I think he means ***8220;the turbo ***8221; but see this link ( )for pictures on Wiki that describes the ***8220;collettore the aspirazione d***8217;aria***8221;]

***8220;the proof of the defect ***8211;according to the magistrate ***8211; co-incides with the dangerous part. Therefore, the car was defective because overall it lacked the essential safety requisites***8221;. (article by di Marco Alessi)

This doesn***8217;t sound like anything to do with the door electrics to me however and it is a Laguna not a Scenic. I will look for other incidents for the same region in case I picked the wrong one.

I have to say that the reporter doesn***8217;t sound technical and possibly this was more something like what NEARLY happened to my Laguna when Renault left a high-pressure fuel pipe unsecured causing a fuel spill into the V of my engine; if the car hadn***8217;t been relatively cold, there would have been a major fire and if you read my post about the incident at that time, you will note my concern about potential safety issues.

Sorry I can't give this more immediate attention, but I'll try and get back to this thread asap.

Confucius he say "Wise Inuit never eats yellow snow"
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS

Last edited by Pat.w; 10th March 2009 at 12:51 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome