Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 75 just to 'have a look'????

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 9th March 2009
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Although I can understand your frustration with your car, and I myself sold my own renault because of recurring electrical faults, I don't think you are being entirely objective in your condemnation of the situation.

All cars can suffer from electrical issues, some are caused by poor materials/manufacturing processes, others arise from external factors such as the car experiencing a sudden shock/jolt.

Fact of the matter is that your car is (or is nearing) 6 years old, not an old car at all, but since the original warranty expired when it was 3 years old, it wouldn't sound like a defect which has been present since manufacture.

Now, the second point - the dealer charging to investigate. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me, as apart from charity workers & volunteers, I don't know of anyone who will work for free - do you? I'm presuming that once they have traced the source of the fault, they will call you to seek approval for a repair - what would they do to recover the costs incurred thus far, if you decided just to leave it for now?

Regarding the third point - the bonnet issue. That is a recognised safety issue, which has been subject to a recall. You are not comparing like with like.

If you doubt any of what I've said, contact an auto electrician (as has already been suggested), and see if he will expend his time for free.

I hope you get the problem sorted out at minimal cost, regardless of where its carried out.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome