Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Removing seized rear windscreen wiper arm on Laguna II Sports Tourer

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12th March 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by poirot View Post
Hi got exactly the same problem, the motor still works( thank god) but the wiper still wont activate. Have soaked it in WD40 and got it moving but it is still not free enough for the motor to work it. Does anyone know how free it should be or has the motor actually worn out. I cant move the wiper using the peg on the inside by hand, i have to push the blade from the outside. Is there a bearing or just a shaft in there?@
When I went in to buy the new wiper arm from Renault in Basingstoke (30), the guy working there said that the fusing of the wiper arm to the spline happens a lot and they end up cutting the arm off

Spending 30 is better than shattering your rear window

Unfortunately Poirot the only way you will get it working properly again is by stripping the whole mechanism down and rebuilding it.

There are no bearings, just a shaft running in a greased sleve, but you will have to remove the rear wiper arm if you want to fix the problem.

Once you have the wiper arm off its not difficult to fix the problem and you will see why no ammount of WD40 will fix the problem.

Just make sure you make a note of where the washers, circlips etc. come from.

When taking off the large thin bolt which bolts the main wiper mechanism housing to the glass, be very gentle.
This bolt is the main support for the whole rear wiper housing; the other is a small threaded mounting on the rear of the glass (on the left under the plastic cover).

If you push the part of the mounting going through the glass inwards, you may crack the mounting or break the threaded mounting off the glass?

Whilst cleaning the sleeved tube the wiper mechanism passes through, I would recommend keeping this bolt in place until you need to clean all the gunk off in that area.

The sleeve you need to clean isn***8217;t one continuous piece passing through the mounting; it***8217;s a short section at each end of the tube.

Between these two sleeves is a cavity, this is where you will find most of the crud which is stopping the spindle rotating.

With a small screwdriver and some petrol (I also used a test-tube cleaning brush) you will need to clean all the muck out of this recess.

Once all the parts have been cleaned, lightly grease the spindle and put the whole lot back together.

Job done
Currently in DeLorean's garage:
Renault Laguna Sport Tourer 1.8 16V Dynamique - my little money pit!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome