Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Question for Paul (VelSatisfied)

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 18th March 2009
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Hi there, sorry its taken a wee while to answer (I hadn't seen your thread).

This is very easily done, usually because the paint was a bit too thick - but the risk of thinning it down too much is diluting the colour - its something you get to know through experience.

In terms of levelling off the surface, its best to use a cutting compound/paste - sourced from a motor factors/paint supplier.

I would leave the paint at least 3-4 days from last application, before doing anything else to it, as you want the paint solid all the way through.

The product you have purchased may have instructions, but just in case it doesn't...

Ensure the entire panel is clean (but keep the surface wet), and apply the product to a damp cloth (I find an old towel useful), and apply the compound in a circular motion going across the scratch you have repaired (this is very important, as going along the direction of the scratch may lift the entire amount of fresh paint). Keep going over the area and polishing up until you have reached the best result you are happy with. (Its difficult to comment as to when that is, not being in a position to see the before & after).

You may be tempted to use a mechanical polisher (I have one, and have never used it, as I've seen what someone else did to their car - burned through the paint), but if you want to, similar rules as before, just ensure the polishing pad & panel surface remain wet, and don't labour on one particular section for too long.

Hope the above helps, and don't be disheartened with what you have already achieved, it is very difficult to get it right first time.

At least you have given it a go.

Any further help, please just ask away.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome