Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Detachable Towbars

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 30th August 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Generally speaking: Witter = perfectly good quality at a reasonable price. Brink + Bosal = Top notch stuff, but you pay for it. I'd have no qualms about fitting any of them to my car, and would probably have gone for the Witter if they'd done a Laguna II detachable at the time, and I hadn't been able to get my Bosal at trade price.

Very few modern towbars require drilling, and if one does, then they all will. The 'type approval' regulations that came into force in 1998 require that a towbar be fitted only to the manufacturer's designated mounting points, and they're almost invariably pre-drilled. Some will be easier to fit than others though, and the better brands often come with special captive fixings that you can slot into place without removing the bumper, whereas cheaper ones might supply bog standard nuts and bolts that need you to get a spanner on them from both sides. It's also worth double-checking that the bar you order doesn't need a bumper cut to be mounted at the correct height. Unlikely on the Laguna ST, but always worth asking.

Worried about bulb failure monitoring etc., I forked out 50 quid for the official Renault lighting loom, only to find that it hooks straight into the lights without bypass relays anyway. The Renault kit does cut out the car's rear fogs when towing, so it'd be worth wiring up this way just in case running four bulbs proves to be too much (I've never heard of a problem with Renaults, but it melts the switch contacts on some Vauxhalls.) My car appears to have bulb failure warning on the brake lights only, but this doesn't seem to be affected by the extra load applied by the trailer lights.

If you want the 12S socket too, then this is a nightmare. Even if you plan to do the rest of the work yourself, I'd be inclined to pay someone to do the 12S for you. If possible, go to someone who's NNTA accredited, because these folks know their onions when it comes to towing electrics, and it's not uncommon for supposedly professional towbar fitters to make a right mess of the 12S wiring.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome