Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Ipod to Laguna

Thread: Ipod to Laguna
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 20th March 2009
Diamond dismember
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
A "CD changer emulator" kinda device works for me.

If you want cheap, and your stereo doesn't have an AUX input, then an FM transmitter, with all its inconveniences, is the only option I can think of.

Personally, I take a strong dislike to FM transmitters for various reasons. To mention a couple:
1) The sound is succeptible to interference. In fact, more so than a real radio program.
(Needless to say: DON'T try this solution in an R12, unless its ignition system has been given some T.L.C.)

2) There's a barely audible 19 kHz pilot signal on all FM transmissions. Some of these devices are a bit louder with this pilot signal than most broadcasters.

3) The sound will not be CD quality.

4) You have to find a frequency that doesn't interfere with existing broadcasts. If you're traveling longer distances, you have to change that frequency on the way.

5) Once you've found a frequency you know works, turning off the ignition cuts power to the transmitter, and you've got to tune it in to that frequency again next time you go for a spin.

To overcome all of this, and enjoy CD quality sound when driving, I decided to put a bit more cash into it (less than a hundred quid), and got my hands on an iPod interface from Connects2.

This device connects between my iPhone and the CD changer port of my stereo. If your radio is of the model "Tuner List" or "Update List", search for CTARNIPOD003.

With this, I can change track or playlist straight from the steering column remote.

Next up on my shopping list is a Kuda Phonebase, and a DICE iPod cradle. Makes it look neat.
Currently in costeau's garage:
2008 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi (Used to have a 2004 Laguna 1.8)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome