Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Today's lesson......measure twice, cut once

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 29th May 2006 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
valve bending time

Measure twice, cut once......
This is what my wood and metal work teachers taught me at school, many moons ago. Perhaps mechanics should be taught similar, finish the job and recheck twice
Why?? You ask.........well if they had it drummed into them, may-be my '01 Scenic RX4 wouldn't be back in the shop with a bad case of angled valve stem disease
I picked-up my car Saturday morning. great, new t/belt now I can give it a little more than I have previously because the belt is now new. I hadn't given it much since it was getting close to belt change time when I bought it and I treated it very nicely...(back to sat am).... stopped at lights about 5km from workshop,>>light green, OK, here we go, 1st gear 4000rpm into second, back up to 4>>4,500rpm into third, slight noise which i put down to clucth engaging, mmmmm no power, all dash lights on, coast to a stop. Try to restart, no go and a strong fuel smell. I popped the bonnet, and the aux belt pulley is off at a very unusual angle. I call the mechanic, he says he'll be right out.
He arrived, we try to restart the car after he has reattached the go, more fuel smell. Tows car to w'shop.
he callls me after a couple of hours, and informs me there is absolutly NO compression and the head has to come off
Haven't heard today as yet but will call past later to see what's the go.
Moral of this tale...... Always check and recheck evrything when you think you have finished a job. The result of a loose aux belt pulley bolt on a 2L renault engine leads to horrible events because the crankshaft continues to turn whilst the pulley and timing belt remain stationary>>>result several bent valves
Needless to say i am not impressed to say the least. My almost perfect RX4 is now very second hand and I only hope the engine performs as well as it had previously after this event.
Fingers crossed here and I'll keep you posted.

I won't mention the workshop name because I don't believe that's the right thing to do because in all my years of French car ownership I have been able to rely on this guy over everyone else many times.
Currently in OzRX4's garage:
2001 Megane Scenic RX4 Privelege Verve, 2003 Clio Privelege 1.4auto, {son's car}

Last edited by OzRX4; 30th May 2006 at 05:41 AM. Reason: changed title...if possible
  5 Lastest Threads by OzRX4
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
172 CLio Sport exhaust>>>> 2001Scenic F4R petrol... Exhausts grant29mac 1 1108 31st March 2013 03:17 PM
Scenic 05/2001 Fuel pump(inc regulator)/seperate... Electronics OzRX4 5 1811 10th October 2011 06:26 AM
Timing belt kit UK price please??? Cars & motoring willis.ralph 7 6649 21st June 2011 02:08 PM
World's 10 deadliest drives General Chat jenerator 7 1644 9th February 2011 08:52 PM
6 stack CD cabling routing?? In-car entertainment Recycled Scenic 2 1603 8th February 2011 11:33 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome