Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Battery drained Grand Scenic

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 28th March 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Battery drained Grand Scenic

Came to this forum while searching the net for a solution for the problem that I have with my Grand Scenic (2004 1.9DCi).
I bought the car used at about 160000km last year. Since then I've had to replace a front suspension bearing, ruptured an AC hose, have had multiple tirepressure sensor errors and now I am facing the following.
During a 4 hour park the battery drained completely. The car was driven before being placed in the parking lot without any trouble, warning lights whatsoever. When returning my wife suspected a flat battery. I went over and found that the battery carried no more that 7 volts....

After using jumpercables to get a charge in the battery we needed to towstart the car to get it running. I drove around for about an hour, stopped the car and measured battery voltage which was around 13.6V. It was charging!

After getting the car home I disconnected my + battery connection and placed an Am meter between measuring what went on there. Here are the results:
3,7A just after unlocking the car, dropping down to 2,2A after interior lights (all verified to go off) went off.
Locking the car using either the key card or the door handle switch, the current finally dropped to around 1,3A. I'd say too much.

I then started to eleminate parts by pulling fuses.
Pulling the "coupe conso" fuse the current drain with locked car is around 0,16A, occasionally dropping to 0,08A. I would not worry about this allthough I have seen references where the drain should be around 0,02A.

None of the 12V sockets have anything connected, the radio is off, all lights are off, display is off, no fans can be heard.

Renault dealer here in town estimated around 4 hour troubleshooting + required parts.

I'd appreciate any help finding this very annoying problem.

Erik Jan
Currently in EJK's garage:
Grand Scenic 1.9 DCi 2004
  5 Lastest Threads by EJK
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Battery drained Grand Scenic Electronics Gonescenile 13 5329 28th March 2009 01:32 PM
Introduction Welcome to RenaultForums EJK 11 1202 27th March 2009 10:24 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome