Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - The Vel Satis Club, for all things Vel....

View Single Post
post #283 of (permalink) Old 8th April 2009
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanks for your reply John.

Bear with me, as I'm 25 and this is my first car (am I the youngest Vel Satis owner around?).

The car was bought from an independent dealer in January and it came with the service book showing a full set of Renaily main dealer stamps, so it looks like it's been looked after and the condition inside and out was nothing but pampered.

I knew when I got it that the rear tyres needed replacing, so I got a couple of UHP tyres fitted (Continentals). I got tracking done at the same time.

The documentation which came with the car did not include any MOT stuff. So it was only out of my being nosey that I logged into the VOSA website using the previous MOT's ref number, and saw the advisory notices about the slight movement.

The MOT was late April 2008. Between then and me buying the car in January 2009, it had done an extra 3,000 miles. Since I got the new rear tyres fitted in January, I've done another 2,000 miles but I got 2 new front tyres put on in February, and had the tracking done again at the same time.

It's booked in for a pre-MOT service (to fix things so it then passes the MOT) and the MOT itself in 2 weeks time. Between now and then, I'm only going to be doing 100-150 miles tops and I drive slowly to be honest, usually about 67mph on the motorway to get good fuel economy - I just wanted to see what it was like at higher speeds.

So to summarise:

* Last MOT was late April 2008

* Car is booked for service MOT in 2 weeks

* Since last MOT it's covered about 5,000 miles, on 4 new tyres, with the tracking done twice (i.e. when new fronts and new rears were fitted at different times).

* I hardly use the car and drive it carefully when I do drive it

* The previous 2 MOTs referred to advisory points regarding the REAR tyres, even though it's the FRONT track rod ends that April 2008's MOT refers to.

* The car doesn't pull, doesn't knock or have any other noises and it seems to drive ok, with no steering wheel vibration, only this front footwell SLIGHT shake at over 80mph, but otherwise it all seems well.

So do I need to worry enough to pay over the odds for a garage to sort the track rod ends, track it again and give me other added worries over the next 2 days (I doubt they'll fit it in, being near a bank holiday), or can I relax and drive the 100 miles I'm planning over the Easter weekend, then hardly drive it and take it for the pre-MOT service and MOT in a couple of weeks?

Hope all that makes sense - many thanks for all your help.

Best Regards,
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome