Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Petrol Auto box - Safe Mode

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10th April 2009
pjl 52
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
2002 Autobox oil top up

Newby to forum, I have had safe mode kicking in twice now in the last 200 miles. Both times when engine/gearbox oil was coldish, only one bar on temp gauge. My 2.0 16v F4R doesnt appear to have obvious drain and fill points, would be grateful for information on how to, and quantity of oil required etc. As the vehicle has a service history and recently bought I presume any oil check would of been done, but would like to check myself for peace of mind. Incidentally I to have found as quoted in this forum by stopping safely and switching OFF then ON the fault resets.

Also does any one know the correct way of doing a sparking plug change on F4R 2.0 16v engine? Never seen the connectors that do not pull off before.

Thanking everyone in advance of any help pjl 52
Originally Posted by mr espace View Post
Renault auto boxes are not the best and 60k is not uncommon to need replaced !

The main problem as far as i can see from previous cars i have had/worked on is the lack of oil changes

this leads to sticking worn parts in the box leading to failure

I stripped an espace v6 with a failed auto box 92 thousand miles on it drained the oil it looked like it had never been changed !!

I had an older espace auto i used it for towing a car trailer up and down to england done at least 30 thousand miles with it changed oil twice in that time box still worked perfectly when car was scrapped total miles were 190 thousand !!
Currently in pjl 52's garage:
2002 espace expression auto
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome