Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #917 of (permalink) Old 12th April 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
RE: Bonnet Catch failure

This happened to my Clio yesterday.
i reached a national speed limit zone and began accelerating. As i reached about 40 - 50 mph the bonnet flew up and smashed into the windscreen.
It was about 1am as i have just finished work, there were no other road users on the same road so no one was hurt but the windscreen was smashed and the front of the roof was dented, pushing the interior roof light out of its fitting and the bonnet catches and hinges were broken.
The problem is in the catch itself. Both the catch and the safety lock are made of the same crappy metal and in front of the grill where water can get in whilst the car is moving. Mine had rusted through and therefore couldn't move into the locked position.
What's worse is that Renault have announced that they are not liable for this fault and so my insurance company would not pay for the damage to my car. Its not easy for a student to pay 250 for a new windscreen!
I had no idea it was an issue before it happened as no one (especially from Renault) will tell you. Are there not legal regulations dictating how cars are made to ensure this doesn't happen? Watchdog claim there were quite a few nasty accidents due to this fault.
If anyone knows how to maintain the bonnet catch or other precautions to avoid this happening it would be appreciated.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome