Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna I - Phase 1 - Electronics - How to troubleshoot Central Locking ( estate )

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 31st August 2005 Thread Starter
Dark Jupiter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thumbs up Renault Laguna I - Phase 1 - Electronics - How to troubleshoot Central Locking ( estate )

I have recently purchased a 1999 Laguna Estate. It has had two previous owners however it remains in very good condition. The car is a right hand drive as I live in the north of Sweden (where the temperature fluctuates between -10 and -20 from November until April).

I purchased the car with central locking and seat heating problems, negotiating the price down 10,000 kronor (£750). Firstly the remotes did not work and the guy I bought it from said that the Volvo dealer (Who handle Renault in Sweden) looked at the central locking and advised him to buy two new keys at a cost of 500 Kronor (£37) each. Upon inspection the remote batteries were in upside down in both keys. I purchased 4 new batteries and hey presto central locking now works from the remote.

I have however some questions. My user manual is in Swedish and as I am only learning the language I cannot fully understand what should do what. I am hoping that someone in this forum can help.

My questions are as follows;

1. When manually unlocking and locking the car from the drivers door should all other doors open and close also? Therefore, does the key lock control the other locks or are they controlled by the central locking button next to the hand brake? Or are they controlled by the remote, the manual key and the console button?

2. The rear door locks and unlocks by using the remote or the central locking button next to the hand brake however, the manual lock will not work when I insert the key! It just spins both directions! Does anybody know what the problem is and how to remedy it?

3. When the back door is opened should the rear internal light come on? I assume that it should as in other cars. The light illuminates ok and I have tried the switch in different positions but it does not come on each time I open the door. Is it a broken pressure switch located somewhere around the door frame that I am missing or is it something else?

4. Lefthand indicators appear to be occasionally possessed. They will work fine for a couple of hours then when I indicate they will blink at twice the normal speed? Once they start to behave in this manner they will remain so until the car is parked for a long duration, say, overnight and they are right as rain the next day. The right hand side always remains constant at a normal speed. Does anyone know why this happens and how to prevent this?

5. The seat heating in the car does not work. I discovered a blown fuse when inspecting the car and surmised that it was a short circuit somewhere possibly in the element in one of the two front seats. The dash indicator flickers at half strength when I move about in the driver seat so this seems to confirm it. (I believe that the dash indicator when illuminated indicates the seat heating has been activated however, this will not activate until the internal temperature drops below 12 degrees C +/- 4 degrees.) I do not know if seat heating is standard in all 99' Laguna’s! Does anyone have any pointers on how to approach this particular problem. All the electrics are under the seat and very difficult to access. It may be necessary to remove the front seats to check the problem. Before I go to extremes someone may be aware of a simpler solution. Can anybody help?

6. I am missing a speaker cover from one of the front doors and the other is not in the best shape either. Can anyone tell me of any good online shops or other sites I could buy two new covers. (I may also want a metal grill between the rear storage and the back passenger to keep the dog in the back).

Lastly when I bought the car the small hubcap from the centre of the alloy wheels were not fitted. The previous owner had broken it. The tool is a special type with three pins to secure a single bolt into each wheel. Volvo quoted me 450 Kronor (£33) for a new one. I bought a packet of M8 hex bolts for 55 Kronor (£4) and they are perfect for the job.

Many thanks for your help.
  5 Lastest Threads by Dark Jupiter
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Laguna I Phase II Heated seats Interiors bonedavid 1 1562 21st October 2006 01:07 PM
Wiring Additional Headlights Electronics Horatio 1 1628 21st October 2005 07:35 PM
Central locking affected by cold weather? Electronics Shaun wall 28 7911 17th October 2005 08:18 PM
Renault Laguna I - Phase 2 - Interiors - How to... Laguna geochr 6 9697 14th October 2005 09:30 PM
Can your floor mats look like new? Interiors Garvey69 3 1953 13th October 2005 10:45 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome