Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Parts catalog

Thread: Parts catalog
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 15th April 2009
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,852 Posts
I've seen such systems, and to be honest, there isn't a part name on it. You normally access the system by either the chassis number (which will only allow you to see the parts compatible for that car, and is thus very specific), or you can enter via model/year which is much more open to error.

You then either graphically (by clicking on the relevant part of the car), or from a list of major components, see the various sub-divisions on an exploded diagram basis (but all you have for reference are 6-digit (or greater) part numbers.

Then, provided you haven't transposed any of these numbers when writing them down (and its easier done than you'd imagine), what would you do with this info? Contact the dealer.

So all you've done is add to the process length, as surely you would expect the dealer to then double-check before ordering (otherwise you'll be charged for the part regardless if its correct or not) at the end of the day - they've ordered what you asked for.

So what value would be added? I can't see any.

Sharing of knowledge is a good thing, if those who are entrusted with it, are trained and can act responsibly. I just see the potential for more harm than good.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome