Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #164 of (permalink) Old 31st May 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
VOSA involvement

I sent off the following email to VOSA:

30/05/2006 12:34
Subject: Vehicle Make/Model Roadworthiness - POSSIBLY FOR ATTENTION OF MR STUART JENKINS-

Dear Sirs,

I am a road user who has become aware of the apparent problem of unsafe bonnet locks and catches on some Renault cars. I believe this is the subject of ongoing investigations by the BBC programme Watchdog, and of much discussion on the Internet.

I am now also aware that some incidents of actual failure have occurred at motorway speeds and these could potentially have resulted in loss of life or injury not only to the occupants of the vehicle itself but also to other unsuspecting road users who happened to be using the same stretch of road.

Obviously, a bonnet catch failure at 70 MPH could result in a pile-up and cause carnage.

I understand that this problem has already been reported to VOSA and that you have taken it up with the manufacturers. Being concerned for my own safety and that of other road users, I would like to know what you or they propose to do to remove these potential dangers from our highways.

I would equally be interested to know if such a bonnet-lock failure has at any time caused loss of life or serious injury on the road whether it be here or abroad. Similarly, have there been any allegations that this problem has ever caused injury or loss of life?

I thank you for any attention you are able to afford me,

Yours truly,

I have today received the following reply:

Thank you for your e-mail.

I have forwarded it on to the Accidents Defects and Recalls Branch who will contact you shortly.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

I hope this convinces them that there is real concern. Anyone else wanting to register their concern can write to enquiries at VOSA.

Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome