Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Trafic starting problem and warning lights

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 15th April 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Question Trafic starting problem and warning lights

Hi all,

I have had an on going problem with my Trafic van which is only used very locally, seldom more than 10 miles away.

I noticed the alternator was very hot a couple of months ago, but the local garage told me it was ok and their trafic was the same. The heater plug/onboard computer warning light started to show around the same time, and I also noticed a "running on" kind of a noise on turning off the engine. This was like a pulley or idler spinning round and slowing to a stop. It sounds like it is somewhere near/in the alternator.

A few weeks ago I found the van wouldnt start (dead battery). It started with a tow and when I got home I put the battery on charge. Next day it started ok and ran, but it seems to be draining the battery all the time. That has been the story for a while now.
I charged it again last night and checked the voltage today.
12.76 with everything off.
dip to 10.35 when starting.
12.25 while the engine was running, but gradually creeping up to 12.36 while engine running.
12.65 when I turned to engine and ignition off.

I see in this thread
Lag 2 Battery Charge Fault
that there is an over run clutch fitted into the alternator drive pulley on some Renaults. Might this be the problem?

Is it likely that the clutch on the pulley is goosed? Is it possible to get replacement parts for the alternator, or is it a whole new unit

Might be a completely separate problem, but the obc warining light has been coming on. It isnt usually on at the start of a drive but comes on after only a few minutes. Had it in to the garage, and their computer said try cleaning the EGR valve which I did. No change. In again and they suggested the Vacuum-something-or-other-on-the-end-of-2-tubes-and-a-couple-of-wires and fixed to the nearside wing under the bonnet. Long name for a small part.

I bought a new one for 35 and fitted it. No change. So now I'm thinking maybe it was telling me "your alternator isnt working mate, need to get that sorted"...

Also, and I promise this it the last thing, the van is now having episodes where it will turn over, but not start. It sounds like no fuel, and there is no diesely smoke while turning over. It will start with a tow and only needs the slightest of tugs to get it going. Then it'll run for days without a hickup (as long as I remember to charge it up overnight)

Sorry for the long post, hope you can help,

Currently in thetreeman's garage:
2004 Trafic SL27 DCI 1.9 Diesel
  5 Lastest Threads by thetreeman
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
trafic not starting after 4 weeks not used Engines mickeybo 3 1184 8th January 2011 07:13 PM
Trafic starting problem and warning lights Electronics thetreeman 3 1725 15th April 2009 07:58 PM
Trafic alternator *HOT* and vacuum noisy! Engines thetreeman 8 5758 17th July 2008 07:53 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome