Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #173 of (permalink) Old 1st June 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by brigatti
Good note there 'vass20'!
BTW, one comment, I was interested to read on the BBC Watchdog website that VOSA had "already inspected several cars and not identified a fault with the mechanism". Does anyone have any knowledge / views on which cases they related too (i.e. were VOSA referring to any cases which the forum members already raised previously / recently?). I am just curious as to how VOSA can make such a sweeping statement on this very point!
They won't have examined the failed ones I suppose. I suspect they may be hard pressed to identify any potential problem since the component may initially be in good working order. Material stability however will deteriorate under specific conditions, such as over-heating beyond the tolerance range of the plastics used.

The difference will only be measureable in fractions of millimeters, but that would be enough to cause an otherwise free-moving surface to bind or scrape. The resistance would then be enough to cause the safety not to run its full travel and park in the required position of safety. There may also be other contributing causes.

In my view, these components need to be assessed after they have been exposed to temperatures in excess of 60C in a working environment, and possibly in temperatures equal to those produced by an adjacent cooling radiator.
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome