Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Finding Radio Code And Inputting Code

View Single Post
post #30 of (permalink) Old 19th April 2009
Diamond dismember
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by dave_mezza2006 View Post
The stereo will only stay on for 20mins if the keys are not in the ignition before turning itself off. Helps prevent the battery being drained.

Well thats how it works in the Lag II.
Originally Posted by Charenton View Post
That would be a problem then. In the Scenic the radio stays on for a hour without the ignition on.
You can press the button again for as many hours as you wish, should you need to.
From what I understand, the time until the stereo turns itself off depends on the stereo head unit itself, rather than the car model.
From my understanding of the stereo's wiring, this is the case with the Tuner List fitted in my Laguna as well
(…unless the UCH is working some black magic which can't be interpreted through the wiring itself, that is).

In the old days, the high-power [+] feed would just be connected either to the radio fuse directly, or to the ignition feed,
depending on whether you wanted the ignition to turn the radio off or not.
With the advent of digital tuners - where the presets were stored in electronic memory - came the low-power [+] feed,
to be connected to the radio fuse directly, in order to power the radio memory with the ignition off.

In modern car stereos that's been reversed: It's the ignition feed which is low-power, and the other feed which is high-power.
The ignition feed only tells the stereo if the ignition is on, or not, and the the head unit's internal timer uses that to decide when it's time to power off.
Some stereos have a feature which allows you to set that waiting time yourself.
(Dunno if any of Renault's factory fitted units have that possibility.)

Originally Posted by Charenton View Post
I used to be one of those sad people who sat by the roadside in the car counting traffic for the local authority.
I counted down my shift by the number of times I had to press the radio button.
Having a job like that certainly warrants having the possibility to change the power off time on the radio anyway.
Currently in costeau's garage:
2008 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi (Used to have a 2004 Laguna 1.8)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome