Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - SORN Help

Thread: SORN Help
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 23rd April 2009 Thread Starter
Scenic Demon
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

morning all,

I have a bit of a problem - you can all get to have a good laugh at me cos I think its probably gonna land me a nice big fine, but i wanted to run it by a few people, to understand if anyone might play it differently.

Here's the problem. In 2001 my car was a rover 214 and i suffered what could only be described as catastophic engine failure I decided i was going to try and fix the car, and in the meantime i'd bought myself a little runabout for 50 quid - an old fiat uno.

Anyway, i was a student at the time and living in a terraced street in Newcastle. my rover was parked up on the street outside my student house while it was undrivable - which turned into many months cos i couldn't fix the bloody thing

When i was due to move house cos i finished university and also the tax was running out on the rover, i had to move it off the road - i arranged a temporary off road parking place behind my sisters house in durham and had it transported on the back of a recovery truck (so it was never driven on the road untaxed)

First mistake - when i moved house, i forgot to change the address on my car log book - 8 and a bit years later i still haven't done it.

Second mistake - I never declared the car SORN..... and i still havent done it.

after a year of being parked at my sisters house, i had bought myself a place which had a garage, so i had my car transported again on a recovery truck, from my sisters house to my own house - this was in late 2002

Since then really, i've been very much aware that I had to fix this problem, but i've put it off and put it off cos I knew i was going to get a fine, and now incredibly we're 8 years down the line and i still haven't done anything about it! - and basically, i've probably made things a whole lot worse for myself.

Thing is, the car is still in my bloody garage! - i just want rid of it now and quickly, get it scrapped off - it'll never run again - i'm actually looking to buy a motorbike so i need the garage space asap.

So i've figured i finally need to bite the bullet and get the paperwork sorted out - i can't decide how to do this - do i send the SORN document, plus the log book plus an accompanying letter explaining what a silly boy i am and just coming completely clean (whilst making it clear the car has NEVER been used whilst untaxed etc)

I know that worst case they could fine me for the log book being wrong, they could fine me for the SORN and they could also charge me all the back tax, so it could prove pretty expensive just to scrap off an old knackered car

I've seen some things where it suggests you have to pay back tax before you can re-tax your car, or if you don't pay the fine, your car will be crushed - will the fact that i don't want to re-tax the car and i'd be quite happy for them to take it and crush it work in my favour?

when you've all stopped laughing at my predicament , has anyone got any advice?

or am i just about to lose my motorbike savings in order to pay for this monumental up?
Currently in Scenic Demon's garage:
11 Reg Skoda Octavia 1.6 MPi SE and a 2001 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat
  5 Lastest Threads by Scenic Demon
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
farewell Renault friends General Chat KE 4 1288 30th April 2011 05:22 PM
Scenic - Jacking disaster Bodywork Scenic Demon 20 6242 10th May 2010 08:56 PM
two wheels good four wheels baaaaaaaaaad My mottah! Scenic Demon 11 2297 10th July 2009 08:29 PM
SORN Help Cars & motoring Scenic Demon 7 1920 23rd April 2009 08:26 AM
Scenic servicing Cars & motoring madnoel10 12 5545 22nd January 2009 08:56 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome