Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - clown car

Thread: clown car
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 26th April 2009
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
Just because there is surface corrosion it doesn't necessarily follow that its corrosion that causes the spring to fail. It is very common to see suspension springs with surface rust remain in use for many, many years. You need to closely examine the surface area of the fracture surface to establish the cause and in all cases I have found the surface appears crystalline in appearance - a sure sign of either poor manufacture or metal fatigue. If corrosion had eroded the spring enough to make it thin then it is more likely to bend as it would be unable to withstand a load. Weak shock absorbers or worn steering or suspension components can also contribute to spring fracture.
From what I see Renault have modified the system and are now fitting parallel springs rather than the tapered "pig tail" type.
Citroen Picassos also went through similar problems and again there has been a modification.
Sadly I have also seen parallel springs escape from their seat after fracture although the risk is much lower
Any spring will eventually fail if its stressed at one point rather than the load being evenly distributed.
Spring failure has become a much more common problem in recent years and personally I believe it down to traffic calming measures but having said that I strongly believe manufacturers should take this into consideration at the design stage.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome