Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Wax and shiney tips please

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 26th April 2009
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

I've used "Auto chemicals wash wax "for 20 years now and wouldn't use anything else.

Firstly,invest in a good adjustable multi -spray head and then the secret to a streak free car is to:-

1)Wet it all over with a hose first .

2)Use a bucket of hand hot water and a good capful of "Auto chemical wash wax".
I use a cap off an old can of spray paint for my measure,fill it and drop it in the bucket when the hot water's running in it.

3)Wash by hand with a good soft sponge that holds plenty of water and lets it go quick

(dont know the name of the sponge but my favourite is round,red ,and has a shaped handle grip on it (all sponge)and costs a quid from most auto stores .A very soft and very thirsty sponge.excellent for the job)

I've always bought these as they hold a lot of wash wax and water and let it leave the sponge quickly thereby transferring the maximum amount of wash wax to the car.(so you get round the car quickly)

4)Get this on the car quickly taking care not to miss spots (I tend to work from the rear quarter light at roof and work towards front of car and all around the front ,right round the car and end up back to the corner you started from.)
You should be able to do this with just one bucketful.
(dont forget to pull the wipers back and wipe the rubbers on the way as well as the door mirrors)

5)With the wipers still off the glass hose the car down with cold water and a fine spray head.
Dont forget to hose out the roof gutters as these are usually responsible for the streaks when the car dries because you haven't got all the wash wax out!!

6) Give the car a good dousing now with the hose standing in front and hosing along the roof and sides to the back of the car, taking special care to watch all the foam has left the car including the door mirrors,glass(particularly rubbers at bottom ,wax likes to streak off this at corners ),headlamp clusters and scutter panel(the area directly below the wind screen and wipers ).

7)The bumpers and wheel arches will probabaly be really grimey or bug -ridden,especially after winter driving, but will still come off great with this stuff .It's brilliant .

8)In the corner of most scutter panels, drivers and passengers side,there is a drain hole to allow the water to run off .It's a good idea now and then to check this is not blocked with leaves or other debris(sycamor leaves (helicopters) are notorious for blocking them.

9)Turn the hose spray head to a gentle mist and keep hosing along the roof line and sides until the car body takes on an orange peely texture under the water.This is the chemical reaction of the wax taking place (usually carbunura wax )and the water should start to bead on the car now if you keep removing and replaying the hose .
10) When this happens as soon as you take the hose away.job done.
11) DO NOT CHAMOIS LEATHER like they say to do .
If it is in beading state it will dry lovely naturally(even on the glass) with out the need for chamoising.

12) Last but not least THE ALLOYS .
clean with an alloy brush and a product like "WHEEL SLICK" .I've found this the best .
When done finish off the alloys with a spray of tarspot remover all over ,then hose off and you will find it leaves a water proof film on the alloys and makes it easier to remove muck and grim next time.

There's your twelve best tips for a lovely shiny car !!!.
Do this once a month and treat it to a polish with auto glym or mer twice a year(usually best autumn and spring)and you and your car should be well happy.

Where ever you go There you are!!!
Currently in xcuzme's garage:
2004 Volvo V70 D5 SE
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome