Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Rant about Quality - Broken Spring Now

View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 27th April 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
My 1994 Espace was found to have both rear springs broken at last MOT. No outward signe and no funny feel to car as the break was in the top first turn so very difficult to spot under the plastic tube round the spring and spring was still being located in cup while under load...only spotted when car jacked up and spring seemed a bit looser than MOT man thought it should be. He says there are a lot more broken springs now a days than there ever used to be.
I am surprised anybody buys Renault in view of the following:-
My local Renault main dealer service manager seems particularaly ignorant as to how Renaults are put together and how to fix them.....I have advised him eventually on a couple of things.....reading this forum seems to show a lot of other people experiance simmilar.
Customer care?!?!?!? do they have any.
Very expensive to replace suspension - instead of rubber bushes on some bits you have to buy a whole arm. And poor dealer identification of bits and faults.

Good thing about Espace is plastic non rusting pannels (but even on that the paint peals off!) and galvanised framework and the room inside.

Someone said they would not like to drive an over 25 year old car for a large milage a someone else said...just wait till you are out of waranty on your newer model.....even buying a new car every year (at a large money loss) is no guarantee of a good reliable car.
My Reliant Scimitar 1976(plastic body..galvanised chassis) is far more desirable to drive long distance with only snag being less room inside for very large articles. It is far cheaper in the long run and can only appreciate as long as I continue to maintain it in the proper manner.
The Scimitar is at the age/milage where replacement bits are occasionally required due to normal wear and tear, but all jobs are a do it yourself case if you have reasonable facilities and they do not require silly technology. Yes it is still capable of happily crusing at 100mph ++ The cost of some of the repairs (or in a lot of cases non repairs) seen on this forum are more than I paid for my Scimitar in the first place !
Happy ranting
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome