Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2001 Grand Espace electronic display gremlins

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 29th April 2009 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3

Hi all , I'm a newbie here and felt the need to start yet another thread about dashboard gremlins and immobiliser issues as the ones I have read so far have only resulted in either more questions or reassuringly expensive solutions.

In my mind, if it's broke, best try and fix it before shelling out ridiculous bundles of scrilla.

(oh, and on the subject of the Renault workshop PDF program thingy that the Admin tend to get all hot and bothered about-too tired to remember name of it):

I reckon Renault themselves should make these manuals publicly available, then Admin wouldn't need to cover their sixes and we'd all get a much better forum and better value for money, for what are essentially EXTREMELY overpriced, unreliable vehicles (new or used)

So, on to the problem(s) at hand....

My new (old) 2001 grand espace has a wierd dashboard problem, it displays nothing at all for ages when I start driving, then it eventually comes back on as normal and remains fine until the ignition is switched off again.

All the while, the immobiliser LED flashes

The RF plip opens/locks the doors fine and key starts car OK. No problems with that side of things.

I reckon either the ECU or the display unit itself are resetting every time the ignition is switched on/off.

(whichever one it is that resets when you hold the stalk button does it every time without fail)
So no average MPG/ range/trip miles are shown when cycled with the stalk button.... just this:

- - - - -

Also (with the engine running), while the display isn't showing anything at all and the immobiliser LED is flashing, if I switch on the headlamps the two green headlamp symbols also flash along with the immobiliser LED.

Further to this, the direction Indicator relay noise appears to be all over the place in a timing sense when I listen to it, yet the indicators themselves work as normal....

I have 3 main suspects after reading the posts on here so I'll run them by everyone, see if anyone can pick out the culprit from the line up.......-----

1- moisture/condensation in the "BII" box? from possible interior leak?

2- Possible damage to the display units' PCB due to varying weather/heat conditions/interior leak?

3- faulty/damaged RF keyfob/plip/other related part
(commonly overlooked as a solution/problem I reckon, they are tetchy wee things..)

That's the short list then, so what's to blame?

I have considered so many angles my brain is barely operating now.

There are a couple of other things I also consider to be possibilities but I reckon it's one (or more) of the above.

I haven't had time to physically investigate any of these things on the car yet, I will do in the next couple of days though, so will post findings shortly (with pics if necessary)

Any comments/thought/ideas/helpful practical information/procedures etc. appreciated on this one.

Hello to all and cheers for any help given.

One last possibility to chuck out there is a possible loose earth somewhere that receives moderate heat from the engine, allowing it to expand and make a good contact, then sitting just shy of contact when engine is cool? sounds plausible in theory.....
Currently in Spanner_Brain's garage:
2001 Grand Espace 2.0 16V privilege, Audi A4 2.8 V6 Quattro

Last edited by Pat.w; 24th May 2009 at 11:22 PM.
  5 Lastest Threads by Spanner_Brain
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Radio controlled car video YouTube Spanner_Brain 5 1817 3rd June 2009 11:22 PM
Naming and Shaming Feedback & Announcements Mike11 28 3897 2nd June 2009 03:20 PM
Now I'm relay confused Electronics Spanner_Brain 6 2114 2nd June 2009 01:03 PM
POLL attempt no.3 - Have you registered for... General Chat Spanner_Brain 37 4603 16th May 2009 05:44 AM
Name the part! Electronics Spanner_Brain 33 3783 15th May 2009 01:23 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome