Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2001 Grand Espace electronic display gremlins

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 29th April 2009 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Lightbulb Update: may be onto something here.....

Anyway, I went back out to have a look and see if the dash was still lighting up straight away or if it was back to black on the instrument panel.

At first it appeared that it was back to black
(still seemed to tie in with temperature and time in between startups, so still a possible factor)

I decided to give the plip button a push with the key in and the ignition on.....hey presto! the display came on instantly!!!!.....

Now, I can't decide whether it is the key fob itself or if it's the ignition barrel setup. As I understand it there's some sort of RF antenna in the steering column;

(I assume linked to the instrument display as the plip did not work the locks when the display was removed)

Any which way it is my belief that the problem is localised at the ignition, I tried it quite a few times, I definitely had an influence on whether it displayed or not, Just can't tell if pushing the button on the plip made any difference at all as it didn't always get the display to work by pushing the button. I figure it may be more to do with the key moving about laterally in the ignition barrel

So, I now think it is one of these that is causing it:
Dirty ignition barrel (dust etc inside it)
Faulty transponder in plip key
loose/dodgy wiring to ignition barrel or antenna.
Dodgy antenna

I will clean the key carefully, replace the battery (It may make some difference but locking works fine from a distance so it's not the battery at fault)

Research the best way to clean the inside of the barrel as a side experiment.

Check the wiring connectors and wires in the steering column/ attenna (if the car does indeed have one there)

Ordering a new key shortly I think, need a spare anyway....ho hum.

Will check back for suggestions or update if I discover anything else.
Currently in Spanner_Brain's garage:
2001 Grand Espace 2.0 16V privilege, Audi A4 2.8 V6 Quattro

Last edited by Pat.w; 24th May 2009 at 11:23 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome