Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2001 Grand Espace electronic display gremlins

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 29th April 2009 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Liking the ideas...

Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
It could well be poor cotacts in the ignition switch and all the huffing and puffing down the keyhole won't make any difference in fact it may actually drive more dirt or dust inwards. A good suck from a narrrow vacuum cleaner is likely to remove more dirt.
Now if you could get some switch cleaner inside (the switch that is) it may help.
Its a bit like blowing through your front door letterbox hoping the lock will undo
The barrel is a separate unit from the switch contacts

Time to get the steering column shroud off for a closer looksee

Defo think that's a good idea, I had wondered myself if blowing would cause more problems, hadn't considered sucking with a vaccuum though, no idea why not...
Need to source some suitable cleaner and a useable implement

Surely this is a distinct possibility?.......

The whole reason I figured on some form of electrical contact (if only to redirect/change a voltage to immobiliser/ ECU ) my old mondeo of years gone by was able to code the keys direct from the ignition so I figured the electronics happy french may well have something doing in this department as a "security" feature....(just more overkill if you ask me)

Jules: thanks for deciding to share your thoughts, I agree with what you've said also, certainly along the lines I was thinking.... LOL sorry if I offended you, I never set out to offend anyone, just making a joke, albeit not a particularly funny one apparently. aye well......

I am thinking the latching mechanism you mentioned may be linked to the engine management via a voltage change being sensed (like the way a MAP sensor communicates with the ECU ) or something equally out of my territory LOL.

It's definitely local to that area, otherwise my farting about with the key would have made no difference.

Has to be wiring/dirt/dodgy key, nothing else makes sense, it's all pristine, dry, clean, like new.

Suppose the PCB in the instrument panel could have a duff chip or something, hope not though.
Currently in Spanner_Brain's garage:
2001 Grand Espace 2.0 16V privilege, Audi A4 2.8 V6 Quattro
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome