Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Grand Scenic - Panoramic Sunroof Whistling - Driving me potty!

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 30th April 2009
Diamond dismember
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Windfarmer View Post
Our Scenic II sunroof whistles over 60mph ish. Any idea how to fix this?

I cannot see any opportunity to adjust it. It is the near side and seems that the "lift" of the wind going over the car is lifting the sunroof enough for the wind to whistle past the seal. If wind can get in then water can too. No leaks yet but it is a worry.
From your description, I suspect some screws that hold the sunroof onto its mechanics are a wee bit loose, and that they need a little tightening.
I'm not sure about how to get at these particular parts, but a Haynes manuals usually have richly illustrated information on this.

Another ususal problem with sunroofs would be with the rubber seals. There are three common possibilities here:
1) They've had a cut or split somewhere
2) They've dried up, not having been treated with enough moisture, and started crackling up.
3) They've come under wrong pressure, and thus, been deformed in one or more areas.

Originally Posted by Windfarmer View Post
I have a 200 mile journey in a couple of weeks and it will drive me nuts to have it whilsting all the way.
Putting vaseline along the rubbers would be an OK short-term solution, For long-term, however, I suggest going down the Haynes route,
or get the pros to look at it, if it seems too intimidating for DIY.
Currently in costeau's garage:
2008 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi (Used to have a 2004 Laguna 1.8)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome