Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2001 Grand Espace electronic display gremlins

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 30th April 2009 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
latching mechanism

Yeah Jules, that's pretty much what I was thinking, I figure the same - it doesn't matter which key as it moves a mechanical device inside the ignition switch simply to show a key is there.

Further to this I think the key may also bridge 2 electrical connections inside the switch that tell the immobiliser that a key is present, which then allows the display to come on.

I took my key apart previously and have noticed that the actual key is insulated/seperate from the PCB and transponder, the transponder is mounted seperately from the PCB.
(i think that's the transponder anyway LOL - a wee grey block in it's own little compartment).

so, any metal bridge between the two contacts brings the display on?

When I boil it down like that it does seem a bit pointless, maybe if it does exist it's made like that to prevent the display from working if the car has been hotwired or something......still overkill though if it is...

Will report tomorrow after i've been down the shops for some bits and bobs and had a wee go at cleaning the switch and/or had the cowling off the steering column.

I must have improved something yesterday as the memory (mileage/MPG/range display) didn't reset, will go and have a look and check if it's still the case.

Didn't do anything today, my brain is burst - I think it short circuited yesterday so I feel like an old man.
Currently in Spanner_Brain's garage:
2001 Grand Espace 2.0 16V privilege, Audi A4 2.8 V6 Quattro
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome