Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Halfords.....

Thread: Halfords.....
View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 2nd June 2006
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Horatio
Never had a problem with them myself, though their policy on returns apparently contravenes your consumer rights.

See here
see, now I'm on the other side of the counter on this one. I've been told that it's completely legal for me to offer a repair under the manufacturer's warrenty. E.g. a customer comes in with a mobile phone that's 10 months old and it won't switch on. No cosmetic damage, try to charge it and no joy. Should I offer a full refund on it, even though the same phone is now less than half the price they paid? I'd have it repaired for the customer - surely the law doesn't dictate that this person has had the use of a phone for 10 months and then get a full refund? Or even an exchange for the same price? That's called a free upgrade in my book.
Use a Tomtom as an example. Someone brings it in and demands a refund cos it won't turn on. If I don't send it away to the manufacturer, how do I know it's not broke cos the owner dropped it? Or dropped it in a puddle and dried it off?
Same with PSP/PS2/Xbox/360/laptops/pcs - do I legally need to replace or refund when it could be a virus or a power surge that's damaged it?
I personally stick to the letter of the company policy, using common sense also to try to judge if the customer is genuine.
I don't know the answer to all this, but I do know that some 'customers' take the pi$$ with what they expect a refund on. Genuine customers just want a product that works.
Rant over.

If at first you don't succeed...CHEAT!
Currently in nicolidus's garage:
BMW 325ti like an absolute prat!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome