Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Halfords.....

Thread: Halfords.....
View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 2nd June 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
That seems perfectly fair. It's the difference between "you bought it then it broke" and "you bought it and it was already broken."

Though to be honest, as long as you know you'll be reimbursed by the supplier, then why not change it? I ended up having a major argument with a certain electronics retailer over a DVD writer I'd bought from them because the manufacturer's support team had already diagnosed it as faulty and told me to take it back to the retailer for an exchange, at which point the retailer wanted to send the unit away for testing, leaving me (for an unspecified period) without an item that I was relying on several times a week.

I think that, quite often the retailers fail to appreciate that some of us rely on certain products on a very regular basis, and that our lives are adversely affected if we're without them for a prolonged period. If my computer breaks, I want it fixed ASAP, no arguments. The same is far from true for the bread maker that's been stuck in a kitchen cupboard for the last six months. But if I took them back to the same retailer, they'd probably be treated in a similar fashion.

When it comes to 'lifestyle critical' goods, what's needed is better communication between the manufacturers' support personnel and the retailers. If a manufacturer tells me something is faulty and they're happy to give me a new one, then I should be able to go back to the retailer and get it swapped. Provided that the retailer doesn't end up out of pocket, then they shouldn't care less.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome