Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Disappearing dings

View Single Post
post #43 of (permalink) Old 4th May 2009
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,471 Times in 1,852 Posts
I have seen this clip (or one very similar) before.

I can understand the principles involved (expansion & contraction due to thermal changes), but since I've never used (or witnessed) this on a car - couldn't endorse it - do this at your own risk!

What I would add is;

larger dents are easier to 'pop' than smaller ones, due to a greater area of the panel being unstable (because of the dent). I've had similar results just by thumping the inside of the dent with the palm of my hand.

you would need to be wary of anything on the other side of the panel holding the dent in place (such as a side impact beam spot welded onto the inner side of the door skin), this may cause the dent to distort further.

I'm always a bit suspicious of these 'quick fix' solutions, as they convey the impression that pdr (paintless dent removal) is very easy - its not. I paid over 5,000 for my tools & training, and if the repair was so easy that anyone with an aerosol & hair drier could achieve the same results - I (and others like me) would be out of business.

Proceed at your own risk - but let us know how you get on!

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome