Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - My Broken Laguna

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 5th May 2009
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Hi there.

I suspect your fears about the car being written off are probably well-founded.

If the work is being comissioned by the insurers, then 2 new doors from renault would probably be around 120-150 each, then the labour involved in removing & fitting them (probably another 200), then the arch (100), plus the side needs painting (250).

I think my figures are probably a touch conservative, but we're already at nearly 900. Before the courtesy car cost is added.

With the declining value of used cars - I think that'll see off a 7-year old Laguna.

The doors aren't worth repairing - they are damaged too extensively, plus items such as the side impact beams will probably have buckled, so its new doors, I'm afraid.

I wouldn't have thought the chassis is twisted, as the bulk of the impact occured mid-panel, rather than lower down.

Its really up to you how you wish to play this - you can negotiate the best cash value for your car (and they write it off), or if you honestly think the car is worth the hassle, get a cash settlement, then source secondhand parts, and get a competent mate to help you repair it (you may even get doors in the correct colour). You'll also find the bodyshop's costs miraculously shrink when the insurance isn't paying...

But its a lot of work (and you'll be without a car once the doors are off).

Please also bear in mind that all this inconvenience is being created through someone else's fault. But you're the one who'll be suffering.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome