Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic II - Door noise fixed

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 5th May 2009 Thread Starter
Nominated 2 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Scenic II - Door noise fixed

I have had a 54 reg Scenic II for 18 months. Its had its fair share of problems e.g. dephaser pulley replaced, spark plug coils replace (twice) but I still like the car.
One problem thats been on the car was an irritating high pitched rattle or vibration which seemed to be coming from inside the drivers door. It wasn't a very loud noise. You could hear it around town but it seemed worse when cruising on dual carriage ways or motorways (the Scenic is at its best then with not much cabin noise - except for the kids)
Being a bit of a saddo and not wanting to enjoy my bank holiday day off I decided to investigate and was pleased when I found and cured the cause of this door noise. Followed the Haynes manual, number 4297 and removed the interior door trim, chapter 11, section 13 - not very easy to do. Moving and banging everything I could reach found the rattle to be caused by a black plastic cover approximately 3cm wide by 2cm tall. This cover is very easy to see from the outside of the car, being located under the exterior door handle (see attached photo with the noisy cover highlighted). There are actually four of these covers on the car, one beneath each exterior door handle. Checked the other three, they all seemed to fit tightly into their respective doors whereas the one on the drivers door was more loose.
Removed the offending part. This was also quite tricky. Had to work from inside the door but found one of the two clips that form part of the plastic cover. Pressing one of the clips allowed the plastic cover to be pushed out and off the door.
Stuck two pieces of black insulating tape onto the inside of the problem part so that when it was refitted it was now a snug fit - no more rattling noise from my door
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScenicHandle.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	7505  
Currently in achap's garage:
2010 Megane I-Music 1.6
  5 Lastest Threads by achap
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
2010 Megane III Rear wiper fault Electronics achap 1 400 13th August 2015 06:21 PM
2010 Megane III - No fan / blower - FIXED Heating & cooling mhighfield 14 4097 13th August 2015 12:34 PM
Scenic II - How to get at the starter motor Engines Charliehigh2016 9 21891 13th June 2009 10:00 AM
Scenic II - Door noise fixed Bodywork whitbyscenic 4 1774 5th May 2009 08:34 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome