Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - could it be the throttle potentiometer???

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 7th May 2009
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
If you ever think about throwing a lit match into a tank of petrol Mikey - let us all know and we can watch from a distance and video it - should be good for a laugh.
I can speak from personal experience. I once witnessed a young lad apply a lit match to the neck of a 25 litre drum filled with petrol - guess what he lost his eyebrows and is now only partially sighted along with serious burn scars.
If you don't believe me just call at your local fire station for some advice
Don't get me wrong, I don't plan on doing that. I did say if you could drop a match without igniting the vapour though, it would go out. As petrol evoporates in low temperatures this is hard to do.

And a heat source is not enough to ignite petrol. It has to be some sort of naked flame or a spark. I have seen petrol dripped onto a hot exhaust manifold form a leaking fuel line, nothing happened. No flames, no explosion, nothing. Just boild off very quickly. I'm not recomending anyone try this though.
Granted though if the heat is intense enough it would ignite, but your not likely to find anything like this in the engine bay. The only thing that comes close is in the combustion chamber but even then the fuel vapour won't ignite and needs a spark from the spark plug. Unless the conditions are correct for pre ignition. An over heating engine or hot spots in the cylinder from carbon build up. But pre ignition only occurs when the tempreture has risen by the aid of compression, like the way a diesel engine runs. Petrol engines tend to have lower compresion ratios to diesels anyway.

I didn't know though that petrol itself has no smell but the vapour does. Always learning somthing which is good.

I was just trying to point out if you smell petrol when in the car. Don't schreech to a halt and jump out screeming expecting your car to burst into a ball of flames any second, cos it won't.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

PSN: MEW1980
Currently in Mikey's garage:
1996 Mazda MX-3 V6, a 2002 1.2 8v Fiat Punto active (the Wife's!) and a 1998 Suzuki GN 125. Used to own a 2002 Laguna II Dynamique 1.8 16V (Now Sold yey!)

Last edited by Mikey; 7th May 2009 at 03:42 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome