Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Electronics - Xenon Headlights - Discussion & how to change out

View Single Post
post #79 of (permalink) Old 8th May 2009
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanks to all for their excellent posts - based on this info, I had a go at doing this on my Lag II DCi last night.

I had a failed beam on the nearside and started looking at dropping the bumper on the NS only. Couldn't easily identify which were bumper fixing bolts and which were just for the undertray (would have been easier with ramps at this point rather than grovelling on the front drive!). I just removed the front grille and the 2 top bolts for the headlamp. Took the battery cover and fusebox lid off, unclipped the wiring loom from the side of the fusebox and gently eased this to one side. Lifted the battery ground lead out of the way and managed to get the plastic cover off the back of the headlamp. Removed the power lead from the HID bulb and managed to figure out how to release the clip securing it in position, removed the bulb and fitted the replacement. Reconnceted the power and it worked!

Things to note:
  • I took a decision just to try the bulb first and not to risk tampering with a working bulb on driver's side (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!)
  • Be cautious with trying to get too much movement from the lamp unit while it's still secured to the wing.
  • The ballast unit cannot be accessed using this abbreviated technique.
  • It takes great care (and a little luck!) not to touch the glass of the bulb on anything that has grease on it!
  • It's woth noting the orientation of the old bulb as you take it out as it's not possible to see what's happening at the base. I had a small problem, but checked on the driver's side for the orientation of the wire to the top of the bulb and then lined mine up similarly.
  • Renault really don't want this to be a DIY job!
mikethebike - the only way that I can see that your technique could possibly have worked is if there had been previous work in that area of your car and the bolt securing the side of the lamp unit to the wing was not refitted. Not calling you a liar but the lamp unit on mine was solidly fixed to the wing somewhere behind the indicator. Tried just dropping the bottom 'flap' of the wheel arch liner forward of the wheel but couldn't get access to the securing bolt (couldn't even see / touch it!).

I had bought a pair of bulbs (29.99) - wasn't sure what temperature to go for as I just wanted a fairly white light. Went for the 6000K version and it seems pretty well the same as the other side (which I believe to be OEM). I had also bought a ballast at the same time so I had the option. I now thus have a spare ballast / bulb in case of any future issues.
Currently in McBish's garage:
03 Laguna II 1.9dCi Initiale Estate
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome